Sunday 14 June 2015

SLDNN Annual Conference Preparations

 
Over the last few weeks I've had the opportunity to assist two students from Glasgow Caledonian University, Heather Johnston & Abbie Thomson and two students from Edinburgh Napier University, Annie Millar & Caryn McWhirter prepare their presentation for the Scottish Learning Disability Nursing Network (SLDNN) annual conference. The conference takes place on Friday the 19th of June and places are in high demand. 

I was first introduced to the SLDNN conference last year whilst on placement with the nurse practitioner's in Lanarkshire. My mentor Jean Howieson was involved in the network and encouraged me to get to know more about it. I was offered the opportunity to present with two of my fellow classmates, Corrinne Taylor and Zoe Lightbody. I definitely found this opportunity daunting, I mean, what could possibly go wrong presenting to over 120 experience learning disability nurses and practitioners as a first year student learning disability nurse...? However, I can honestly say it was one of the most inspiring and motivating days I have had in my university career so far. Everyone was really encouraging towards us and we got a great response from those in attendance.

I have had the opportunity to offer a helping hand to four of my colleagues with this years student presentation, and it has been an honour. The four student's presenting have worked incredibly hard over the last few stressful weeks; balancing placement, presentation prep and home life. The theme of the conference "Health Inequalities for people with learning disabilities" has been interesting and gave everyone the opportunity to discuss their passions and interests throughout. I won't give too many spoilers away, but it is a presentation to be looked out for on the day if you are attending... I mean, just wait till you see their dance routine! ...only kidding. 

I'm looking forward to the conference on the day and look forward to updating you all on the days speakers. I especially look forward to updating you on how Heather, Annie, Abbie and Caryn get on, which I know will be great! 

Good luck girls

Sian and the rest of the SLDNN Student Sub-group



1 comment:

  1. Good luck for the presentation, I'm sure it will be great !

    ReplyDelete